The Coyote Chronicles

Musings of an Alpha Male...

Name:
Location: Nashville

El Pocho takes a look around....

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Illegals, witches invade Loganville

I'm guessing someone needs a job. Church secretary seems like a logical career move for this poor woman, beset as she is by witches and little brown people. The online edition of the Washington Post carried this story . Laura Mallory, a mother of four, told a hearing officer for the Gwinnett County Board of Education on Tuesday that the popular fiction books are an "evil" attempt to indoctrinate children in the Wicca religion. I was blessed relatively late in life with children, so the Teletubbies, Barney, VeggieTales, and even SpongeBob have been a part of our household for years, even though all of these have at some time been targeted by some "Christian" kook or another. My daughter read Harry Potter two years ago, mainly because, as a "big" book, it carried mega-points for her Accelerated Reading Program, and she, like her mother, is a tad competitive. (Ok, I'm actually the competitive one.) Anyway, she read it, and then the entire series, and has yet to attempt to fly, or turn me into a newt. (Ok, maybe once...it got better) Oh, sure, we did have an uncomfortable conversation once as to why SpongeBob, an obvious hunk, lived alone in Bikini Bottom and only had male friends, but I think I dodged the issue by explaining to them that no self-respecting homosexual would dress like that. In addition, I have yet to catch my children rummaging through the crisper in search of a celery stalk that would talk to them. To my knowledge, the only thing my kids have ever read that made them uncomfortable was the Starr Report. When I came across this story, I wasn't completely surprized at this brand of Betty Bowers Christianity. See, I've been to Loganville many times, because a good friend of mine owns a restaurant there. Take my word for it, that is the only reason I would go there, unless I happened to be on my way to Athens, Ga. When my friend opened his place, he had a small bar, mainly to help offset volitile food prices. More than a few Loganville "Christians" saw fit to wander by and explain that they would never frequent his place, because he served alcohol. So, instead, on Friday and Saturday they flock to Applebee's and the Outback Steakhouse. Sigh. It wasn't that long ago that the county tried to eliminate funding for Spanish language fiction at the lie-berry. It seems that the thought of undocumented workers enjoying a book enraged many area residents. In short, tis a silly place.
(I love it when I can reference Monty Python twice in a single post) More on this later, as I must go tend to a wart on my daughter's nose...

Hat tip to Raul.